Léon-M Tartier scholarship for the QSPP Conference attendance
Call for nominations – 2024
Description The Quebec Society for the Protection of Plants awards an annual scholarship to encourage students to pursue graduate studies in the field of plant protection to participate at the annual QSPP Conference. In 2024, two prizes of 250 $ will be awarded as part of the Léon-M Tartier scholarship. Eligible expenses up to 250$ are travel expenses (transportation), subsistence costs (accommodation and meals) and registration fees. The winner must present his/her project at the conference to receive this scholarship and cannot cumulate two QPPS scholarships for the same year. This scholarship is named in memory of Mr. Léon-M. Tartier, secretary of the SPPQ for 30 years and editor of the society’s first newsletters, predecessors of Les Echos Phytosanitaires.
Amount : Two prizes of $ 250
Students who meet the following eligibility requirements are admitted to the competition:
- Hold, or plan to obtain (as of the date the scholarship is awarded) :
- a degree in science or engineering from an accredited academic institution OR
- An undergraduate degree (or equivalent) from a recognized university
- Register (free of charge) and make an oral presentation at the QSPP Annual Conference to be held in the summer of 2024. You will automatically become a member of QSPP for the year 2024-2025 for free!
- Applicants who already have an award from organizations such as FRQNT or NSERC are eligible;
- The study and research project must be directly related to plant protection (plant pathology, nematology, entomology or weed science);
- Be enrolled full-time in a graduate program (Master’s or PhD) at a Quebec university, or have the firm intention of being enrolled at the time of the award;
- Submit his/her application file, before April 1st, 2024 at midnight, to the Society’s Scholarship Committee.
Nomination is made by completing an electronic form. The following information will be requested:
- A current curriculum vitae including: academic training, research involvement and work experience, a list of publications and papers, fellowships and awards, and community involvement;
- Proof of admission or registration in a graduate program (Master’s or Doctorate) at a Quebec university, with a project focusing on plant protection;
- A record transcript (from B.Sc. and completed graduate studies course)
- A summary of the research project including the medium-term impact of the expected results of the research (maximum 350 words);
- An original text from the applicant on his/her motivations to undertake and pursue his/her research project, to complete graduate studies in plant protection and to have an impact on the development of plant protection in the medium and or long term (maximum 850 words);
The evaluation takes into account:
- the research dossier (20% of the total);
- the curriculum vitae and the evaluation by the referee for the research potential, the abilities to
carry out the project and the involvement in the community (40% of the total);
- the original text and the impact of the research in the field of plant protection (40% of total).
The evaluation of the application must reach a score above a threshold of 60% in order to be selected.
Selection of the recipient
A panel of plant protection experts will evaluate the candidates based on the criteria of research potential and aptitude, the evaluation by the referee and the candidate’s involvement. Members of the Society’s Scholarship Committee will evaluate the original papers. The decision will be made by the Scholarship Committee prior to the 2024 QSPP Conference in the summer, where the recipient of the award will be announced.
Submission of applications
Applications will be received until April 1st, 2024 at midnight via the following Google form:
Application file for the 2024 QSPP Margaret Newton and Léon-M Tartier scholarships (google.com)
If you have any questions, please contact the scholarship committee members: